In order to get the most out of your Awair 2nd Edition(“Awair”), it needs to be connected to your Wi-Fi network. As long as your Awair is powered on, Awair works offline to measure your air quality in real-time. When connected to your Wi-Fi network, you can use your Awair App to take a look at recommendations to improve your air quality, review your historical trends, and receive notifications so you’re alerted the moment you need to take action.
You can tell your Awair is disconnected in the following ways:
- From your Awair App, the Awair Score of your Awair is gray
- The Air Status Indicator on your Awair is blinking periodically
To get your Awair back online, try the following steps.
Step 1: Reboot your Awair and Wi-Fi Router
- To reboot your Awair, unplug it for 20 seconds and and plug it back in to turn on your Awair.
- Do the same to your router by unplugging its power source for 30 seconds, then plug it back in.
If your Awair does not automatically reconnect to your Wi-Fi after a few moments, continue to the next step.
Step 2: Reset your Awair’s Wi-Fi settings
- Locate the reset button on the back of your Awair. The reset button will be next to the power connector, in a vent hole.
- Press and hold the reset button for 15 seconds, until you see blue LED light on the front display of your Awair. All preferences previously saved on your Awair will be deleted, but your account information will not be removed.
- Open the Awair app and tap the (+) symbol on the Device List screen to get started . You can reconnect to it like you did during the setup process. The historical data that you had is backed up to our server and won’t be deleted.
If you’re still unable to reconnect your Awair after this step, the next best step is to look into your network configuration.
Step 3: Check your router settings
Awair is compatible with 2.4GHz b/g/n networks. Review your router’s settings to ensure your router is compatible with Awair 2nd Edition.
- Frequency: Awair is only compatible with 2.4GHz networks. Awair will not discover or pair with 5GHz networks.
- Mode: Awair works best with routers set to mixed access mode (802.11b/g/n). Due to the stricter access rules, Awair may not be compatible with 802.11ac or 802.11n-only modes at this time.
- Channel: Generally, channels 1 and 11 have the least amount of interference. However, you may find that your Awair performs best on other channels, so it may take some tweaking and analyzing your environment to find your optimal configuration. Wi-Fi scanning services (such as NetSpot) can be helpful to find right channel for your environment.
Dual-Band & Mesh Network Routers
Since Awair is only compatible with 2.4GHz networks, routers with multiple bands (2.4GHz & 5GHz) can require some special configuration to keep your Awair connected to the right frequency.
Create a distinct SSID (network name) for your 2.4GHz network to ensure your Awair stays connected via a compatible network.
If possible, disable load balancing. To reach optimum performance, some routers periodically reassign your connected devices amongst their 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks. Since Awair is not compatible with 5GHz networks, this setting will disconnect your Awair.
If your router configuration is more advanced, review our best practices here.
If you need assistance getting your Awair back online, or optimizing your network configuration, please reach out to us so we can help!