Awair Element's TVOC* readings are relative to its environment and the sensor calibrates as such. When a device is moved to a new environment it needs to calibrate to that space. This can mean that two different devices that have been measuring different environments can have different readings when moved to the same space (which may appear as inaccurate readings). To create consistency, the TVOC sensor needs to be re-calibrated, which can be done in the app. To get the most accurate readings we recommend re-calibrating to a fresh air environment. Depending on weather and location availability, this can mean re-calibrating the device when it’s placed in a windowsill or just in any well-ventilated space.
Note: the Awair Element TVOC sensor's initial calibration occurs during the first few hours of operation after unboxing and setting up, which exhibits the same behavior as manually re-calibrating. Expect to see a "spinning gear" next to the TVOC value on the Score tab of the Awair Home app.
*Total Volatile Organic Compounds
To reset the VOC sensor of your device, please follow the steps below:
- On your Awair App, select Settings and scroll to Sensor Calibration.
- Select Re-Calibrate TVOC Sensor.
- Select No, proceed to Re-Calibration.
- Move the device to a location that has a lot of fresh air (we recommend a windowsill). Make sure that the device is plugged in and connected to your wifi. If you are calibrating more than one device we advise that you do this process at the same time and in the same space. When all these steps are completed, select Next.
- Click Start to begin re-calibration.
Note:This process will take 2-3 hours for a full fresh air re-calibration. Please verify that you can leave the device/s in their present location for that amount of time while the device re-calibrates.
- You should see a Calibration in Progress notification on the screen.
Note: When looking at your device readings, you will notice a little cog icon next to the TVOC reading. This means that the calibration is still in progress.
- When the calibration is complete, you will receive a notification (in blue).
Note: Expect your readings to continue to fluctuate for the next 24-48 hours as the sensor continues to calibrate.
If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our Support Team.
We can re-calibrate the units remotely by sending a command from our end. To do this, we need confirmation of a time when the device will be plugged in online in a well-ventilated space during our hours of operation (Monday-Friday 10am-5pm PST) and we will send the reset command.